Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A blurb on Mr. Kazakhstan

Mr. Kazakhstan has an interesting outlook on the world. My sister, Jenn, likes to call him “Star Man”. He looks around with wide, blue eyes and a charlie brown smile so that it always unnerves me when I have to answer questions like, “what does it mean for a woman to be top heavy?” and “why would men and women like to meet at bars?” I always end up feeling like some kind of pagan.

I met him in August when my sister called me up and said, “I have a date for you” – then giggled. Great.

Last time, I took him out to meet some friends of mine. I admit they can be a bit rowdy at times, but they do their very best to entertain. So when he said to me, “well, you’re friends are not the type of contacts I would need to get a job, nor would I marry any of them…” - I was a bit shocked. And despite all the cultural sensitivity I could muster, I was offended. And with my sister’s permission, I decided no more to Mr. Kazakhstan.

But he calls and calls. So I took him out again this past weekend. It was actually kind of funny. I love the shocked responses when he tells people where he’s from. First – silence. Then – “Kazakhstan!!!” Then there’s the occasional response, “Oh – like Barak! You know, Ali G?” Americans are so well cultured.

And he has this strange effect. Though I intended to give Mr. Kazakhstan his first drunken experience, only I stumbled out of the bar less than sober.

1 Comments:

Anonymous JimBuggz said...

“well, you’re friends are not the type of contacts I would need to get a job, nor would I marry any of them…”

Thats awful strange. Mostly awful. Sounds like the limited thinking of a career capitalist or totalitarian dictator . . . I think people are more than what they can do for you. . . However, I also think that one day a black olive will rise to destroy humanity, as I see no other useful purpose for these icky tasting things, but to overthrow civilization as we know it. So my judgement might be questionable . . .

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home