Tuesday, April 26, 2005

single in suburbia

This weekend I went home to the quiet suburbs surrounding Philly to be a part of June and Rich's wedding. She is one of my oldest and dearest of friends - and Rich couldn't be a more suitable husband. The wedding itself was beautiful, the food was yummy, the vino was plentiful and afterwards, we danced the night away with a rockin' DJ. But being single in suburbia means having everyone and their mothers want to set you up and being only 1 of 5 girls waiting to catch the bouquet and after catching it, having the DJ announce to all the "eligible" men how very single and dateless you are. I also got my very first look of pity followed by the "oh, don't worry honey, you'll get married soon enough". I laughed wondering when I entered into that period in life when single became associated with pity. To me, I still obviously got "it" - why the hell can't they see that?!?!?

There's a funny shift that begins to occur in your twenties - especially for females. Older, wiser women always try and warn you - to prepare you, but until it happens, it always just seems to be folklore. Marriage. It sort of just sneaks up on you. In the past two years, I've been to six weddings (been in half of them) and will be attending three more before the summer is over. Two of my friends have already become parents - while I still try desperately to hang on to my "youth". Although as I lay in bed with what felt like the worst Monday hangover of my life...I wondered what exactly it was that I was holding on to. But for the life of me, I still can't seem to figure out what the whole rush into marriage is about - all I know is that somehow, I feel a little left behind. I'm only 26 though and figure I still have a good couple of years left to figure it out. Besides, every married couple needs that friend with her single gal stories to live out their fantasies...no? Fortunately for them, I am committed to living out this New York City single gal lifestyle...just to make their lives that much richer. I am that generous.

Till then...anyone wanna get a drink? We can party like the rockstars we are...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I was in NYC I would love to have drinks with you.

David Park (in SF)

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my oh my beckany. who's this david park that wants to have drinks with you, hehehehe...

anywho, i would love to be single and in new york with you, but alas, i also love being married and with child (er, sometimes). but revel in it, it seems marvelous - and i love living vicariously through your silly little blog. i love you booger.

grace ha-kim

10:54 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Nice candid blog!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home