Sunday, May 29, 2005

singles bar scene

At some point in her life, the single gal (and guy) will one day inevitably say, "I am so over the whole meeting men at bar scene" - or at least something along those lines. Last night I went to Little Baobab, this small dive bar I used to frequent in San Francisco for its great South African vibe n' music and for all the yummy, and most importantly free cocktails. I just so happen to have a bartender friend there...not to mention an owner whose little crush on me I like to flirt with at times. But as I watched people around me slowly drink their inhibitions away and couple off on the dance floor, I couldn’t help but want to build a wall around me with a giant sign that read, “keep off”. It’s become a pet peeve of mine when men I don’t know feel as if they can touch me – even the innocent hand on the small of my back feels a bit presumptuous.

Don’t get me wrong. I love a good flirtation and flattery can go a long way, but please do so appropriately.

Maybe it’s just me or perhaps I’ve become too sensitive, but these scenes appear a bit too oversexed. It seems that every guy and now woman has this one thing on their minds. And yes, this “one thing” happens to be a fantastic “thing”, but it would be nice to meet a guy and not have to feel as if a simple greeting was some ploy to get you into bed.

Yes, I realize that a lot of my friends will probably laugh and make jokes since I am certainly no prude, but still. This gal is so over the whole meeting men at the bar scene. For now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi... (big smile!).

let's go to bed.

or not...

maybe let's talk instead. and I won't do anything presumptuous and then I'll make you laugh and maybe you'll think I'm cool and then, after a few dates, I'll try to kiss you, but not too much, and before you know it, we'll be having... well you know.

Raymond Yee

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-ray's roomie Jenny K

It's true. Today's boys and girls especially in SF and LA want to bed each other first and have a relationship later (or not).

Sometimes if I'm not in a relationship I just want to go out and have fun and hook up and I don't think there is anything wrong with that... but those hookups never turn into anything. We use the boys they use us. As long as you know the same no problem.

Ray's a sweetie by the way, and I have him right now, so don't get any ideas, and shame on him for cyber flirting (I've been catching him log onto your site... he likes your picture and that's how he found me). Bad bad Ray. I'll have to teach him a lesson tonight.

Jenny K Lee.

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

weird comments.

single guys don't get tired of picking up girls in bars no matter what they say. It's fun. Nature of the hunt and all that.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home