Tuesday, June 28, 2005

one of those days.

Have you ever had one of those days sandwiched between hosting family and working double shifts, when you park your car and simply can't remember exactly where? And after walking around for almost two hours in the scorching heat stumble across a place you're 95% sure you parked it, and become convinced that it was towed or stolen? But after calling the tow company three times and realizing it's not there, know for sure it was stolen? And while on the verge of tears, since half your life is in the trunk since you're in between apts, find the car hiding on a street around the corner of your sister's apt? oh...no? Just me then?

Upon finding it, Raul looks at me with weary and giggles in his eyes. He says, "I'm so annoyed with you right now". Fortunately, we found it on the fifth hour of looking - otherwise, I think those giggles would have been replaced with rage. Of course, I felt horrible and immediately went into a flustered talk about how silly human memory can be. I actually created an entire story of how I parked my car in front of a fire station, twelve blocks away, along the water's edge. In reality, I parked around the corner, no fire or police station within short walking distance, and facing away from the water.

I even took long breaks from work to look for my car. Of course, I will never tell my co-workers what really happened to my car. To them, it's towed. There seems to be more dignity in getting your car towed because you can't read a 'no parking' sign.

Then there was the less than happy incident I came home to on Monday. Raul had dropped an airconditioning out of a second floor window - right on top of the downstairs neighbor's air conditioning. Fortunately no one was hurt. Unfortunately, it was one of the most humid of New York days.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like my day. I parked in a parking garage couldn't remember where and got so frustrated I started sobbing. eventually security found me and i was so upset they couldn't understand me. i had driven my brothers car and had forgotten. it was right next to where I was sobbing.

kim

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Drunkard said...

My friend did the same thing, except he was drunk at the time. I guess it was a blessing in disguise. I've never heard of anyone forgetting where they parked while sober though.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beck-

So glad you found your car. My friend did the same thing and even reported her car stolen to the police only to later find the car parked one block over. It happens. I still don't seem to have your current e-mail addr., shoot me an e-mail and I'll add you to my contacts (if you don't have it you can get it from Jenn)- Jolly

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home