Sunday, June 12, 2005

Revisiting my first job experiences

How many of you can say that you have an actual running sink in your office at work? I did. See?

My first job out of college, I was a drug and alcohol counselor for "at risk" teens in San Francisco. I worked at Mission high school for three years. It was one of the more underperforming highschools in the city and for a person's first job - incredibly trying. By the time I left, two kids were shot and killed while others were injured from various gang related incidences. And I'm a little person. You take one look at me and you'll wonder what the hell I was doing there. I asked myself that many, many times.

Anyway, I worked with a great team of psychologists, therapists, nurses, and social workers. Together, we were the Wellness Center superstars located in the basement of the school. I wish that I could say our mural was shabby chic but I think it's better suited as - well, simply put, "shitty".

But the hall way to our offices is a bit more presentable.


Well it's been one whole year since I left that job and truthfully, I don't miss it one bit. The job was incredibly stressful with very little rewards. Of course I can think of a few fantastic stories and experiences I had while working with some of the kids. I had students rap to me and tell me their dreams of becoming greatness. I even gave my opinion on platinum vs. gold teeth. I always voted for gold because they felt more flashy. But overall, I'm glad to have moved on from that phase in my life. Besides how does one person improve things where a whole society fails? Many of the kids I worked with could barely read beyond a fifth grade level and few knew how to use a computer. It was so disheartening at times.

The truth is - first jobs are simply meant for you to hate life, face different existential truths, and become a jaded 26 year old so that when we're older, we are that much wiser. Or at least older with fun stories to share with those in their twenties.

4 Comments:

Blogger j ... said...

i give you credit for putting up with those kids at mission .. i'm a product of that school system .. that isnt the greatest place to be starting a career at

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell your making it all up because you can't even get your glimmer straight - it's in your left eye... which shows up on the right in the picture. And that's the glimmer of a deer caught in the headlights, not hope.

P-

Welcome to the magical world of cynicsm

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I could just writed my own blog just in your comments sections...

P-

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonder why you cropped the picture. ;P

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home