Monday, September 12, 2005

Family

My mother called me this morning to update me on my love life. Yes, to update ME on MY lovelife. Apparently, this man's parents (the one who my mother wanted to set me up with a couple weeks ago, the one who lives in Korea) are really excited about the prospects of our marriage. In my 14 year old whine, I said, "mom, you said I didn't have to marry him!" Previously, she told me that she wasn't going to pursue this meeting because he wants to marry right away. And I guess the 'reality' of my getting married and moving to Korea frightened her - but obviously not enough. As she kept persuading me to send one picture, make one phone, etc - my sister could be heard in the background, "Mom, I think it's a good idea!" She laughed. I flashed her my fifth grade poison dart look.

Family.

I moved back to the East Coast for school, but truthfully I wanted to be closer to my family. I certainly am. And despite all the craziness it brings to be back within my mother's reach and to be within such close proximity to my family, I love it. We have our ups and downs. For instance, tonight, on our ten minute walk to the movie theater, Jenn and I managed to get into a shouting match on the street. For those dining out on Court Street, we provided the best entertainment and the start of a potentially intriguing conversation with: "You can be so dark and manipulative at times!", "On an unconcious level, you know exactly how to attack people at the most sensitive areas", "Must you always paint people in such extreme black and white terms?", "You never really allow enough room for a real apology!" And then, just as quickly as the shouting began so did the laughter. My sister called a truce and I couldn't help but giggle. I looked at her and asked if she noticed the homeless man pointing and laughing at us. We've never been a family to hold grudges. In fact, I would say nine out of ten fights with my brother ended with an, "hey, wanna grab a beer?" or maybe at that time, my favorite, "let's pray". Regardless, tempers flair but love prevailed. Cheese. I know. I'm so tired I can't even tell if it makes sense.

I've had two days off and while I've managed to do some work here and there, I've never felt so tired. It's time for bed and to prepare myself for an incredibly long day tomorrow. But before I leave, I just want to say -

My first study was just accepted for publication! It will be my first, first authorship. Exciting times for an academic and probably not much for others. Ok, bedtime.

6 Comments:

Anonymous gracie said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! CONGRATS!!! i'm so proud of you!

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky, its your little brother. You know, this guy might actually be an ok dood. He went to an international high school here (where all the diplomat and international kids go), his brother currently resides in the states married to a non-korean (so his fam may be pretty open-minded about those kinds of things) and he's financially stable too. Sounds like a go to me, keke^^!

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your brother seems to be on board... and he seems to have gone on a date with this guy already for you. Maybe they can go through the courting for you and then he can just switch off with you for the ceramony... hehe

P-

9:15 AM  
Anonymous gha said...

lol. i swear if you do end up marrying this guy i will streak across evanston. not that i'm opposed to it, i just never thought you'd go that way. hahahahaha...but you know, i know some pretty successful arrangements by parents, so you never know.

but most importantly, you big NERD! congratulations on publishing. though i won't read the whole thing, i'll read the frist paragraph! send me a copy!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous jenn, aka Onni to you so show some respect said...

let's get the argument straight: YOU accused me of calling you Evil when I did no such thing, and then you said, "Well, "dark" is basically just like "evil". And then I said you escalated things by saying I called you evil and it wasn't helping things but that we all have dark sides so it wasn't just you being dark but I was trying to point out how UNIQUELY you are dark... hehe. Good times.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Jim Buggz said...

Congratulations on being PUBLISHED!!!!!! I said it b4 and I'll say it again:
YOU KICK-ASS!!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home