Wednesday, October 19, 2005

My relationship with Dr. Shu

So I got my Stats exam back today. Ranges were between 17-98. And despite my predictions, I actually didn't get the lowest score and it also turns out that I won't be dropping the class either. I received a 76 - mind you, it was a C that I didn't quite deserve. Though my professor didn't curve, he was very generous with the points. And I'm curious how someone was able to obtain a 17. In fact, I'm actually impressed. For instance, Question #6 asked me to predict the power of a particular study. Though I did this correctly for a previous question, I couldn't quite seem to make it work and time was ticking away...so I plugged in a few numbers to a couple random formula's and then said out loud in my head - fuck it, I'll give the study the benefit of the doubt. Power is .80 - good job study. Dr. Shu, our infamous stats professor, put a giant red question mark next to my answer and I think had a similar thought process. I think he also said - fuck it, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. 7 out of ten points. But I'm sure it wasn't followed by a good job.

I don't think Dr. Shu likes me very much. And to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Dr. Shu as my stats professor. Today, I went to ask his opinion on a few analyses that I was running for a study. He looked at me blankly then began by telling me various ways to calculate significant findings. He started by telling me to assign weighted coefficients to the means of the twelve factors in my study. ie: 0, 0, 0, -1, -1, -1 or -1/3, -1/3, -1/3....if you're eyes are starting to glaze over even now, mine already had. In the end, I stared at him blankly and said, "so you're telling me to run an ANOVA on spss?" And he replies, "Sure or you could calculate it by hand." Now I know the words that were coming out of his mouth were English but still, it was incomprehensible to me. Why would I calculate by hand agazillion calculations when SPSS could spit it out in thirty seconds? I wish he would stop speaking in code.

So I have two theories as to why this man may not like me very much. One maybe because I represent the reason why that Asian stereotype of being geniuses in math and science is deteriorating. I am a shame to my people. Or secondly, maybe he doesn't appreciate the "snide" comments I make in class - especially when he says things like, "Okay, two minutes left. Let's start by introducing..." And this is no exaggeration. It's how he both introduced "?" and how he ended class for me. I've also caught myself rolling my eyes every so blatantly in his direction...yeah, maybe he doesn't like that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...can't do math And can't spell an asian's 3 letter name correctly. Perhaps you have let your people down!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LET MY PEOPLE GOOOOOO...

(James Earl Jones - Deep!)

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home