Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Boredom spurs more updates

I came down with sudden chills and fever on Monday afternoon, followed by a bit of abdominal cramping and backaches. By Monday night I was in the ER on physician’s orders. I was discharged a little after midnight. As soon as I got there, I felt a bit out of place. Everyone was sick there…really sick! One poor guy had a bump on his forehead the size of a golf ball! It was like another little head. Plus New York City ER’s are also filled with lots of homeless street people. I pushed to get discharged and the doctor on call thought it’d be fine with some antibiotics. Tuesday morning, I had a higher fever and more cramping. 8:30 am I called my doctor who told me to go to the hospital again. Soon after, I called Hunie in tears. I’m not a good sick person. Actually, I’m a bit of a wus. An hour later, I held his hand and soothed his discomfort while the doctors drew blood and inserted an iv. He looked blue – like a smurf. It made me laugh. He’s a bit of a wus too but the kind of wus that will stay with you through sick times despite his wusiness. These are the obligations of friendship.

Jenn came by a little later and stayed through the afternoon. She made me laugh more and comforted me the way only an older sister can. With lots of candy, love, and even more candy. She knows the not so secrets of my heart. An apple martini would have been the cherry on top, but a gal can only ask for so much.

Anyway, my phone has been ringing non-stop from sweet and caring souls. And it’s really been wonderful speaking with everyone. One good thing about being trapped in a hospital is that I have all this time to catch up with old friends. The bad thing is that I feel trapped. My doctor came in this morning and despite my pleading, refused to discharge me until tomorrow. I even gave her my bambi eyes. People – I said BAMBI EYES and she still said, “no”

All in all, I have no idea what’s wrong with me and I don’t think the doctor’s here really know either. There seem to be two sides – doctors who think I didn’t need to be admitted and my own physician and her team who seemed to think it was absolutely necessary. I mentioned that to my physician and she scrunched her nose and said, “They don’t really know what they’re talking about. Just listen to us. We do.” Oh. Last night, another resident told me that “chances are, we’ll probably just fix you up, send you home, and never know what’s wrong with you.” Oh. Again.

Anyway, for those in close contact with my mother. Please keep mum of this incident. I don’t feel the need to alarm her and besides, who really needs another two hour lecture on God’s “way” of telling me that I don’t pray or read my Bible enough?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Buggz said...

AWWWWW :( I hope you feel better REEEEEEAAAAAl soon.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home