Thursday, December 22, 2005

hard labor

My aunts both had gas today. It was quite unfortunate for me since I spent the entire day with them, "working" in the family jewelry store. I put the quotes in because I was deemed the official door buzzer and during "slow" periods, I wrote the words LAY AWAY on three hundred receipts because my aunts are growing older and keep forgetting to write it down when they are taking the orders. I put the quotes in again because in truth, the entire day was slow for me. I hid two receipt books because I couldn't bear the idea of having to write the words LAY AWAY two hundred more times. At one point, I realized I started writing LAW AWAY but decided it was okay since both my aunts and their customers spoke limited English. The best is watching my Korean aunts speak to their mostly Latino clients. What comes out is a strange game of charades and Sporean (My clever way of mixing Spanish and Korean).

My two aunts calling out with their almost uniform greeting - "ola! como estas! What you buy today?" always makes me giggle. Although my favorite auntie quote of the day was when I finally couldn't take it any longer and said - my goodness, it smells like fart everywhere! And my oldest aunt laughed at me and said, "I know. Last man complained and said - it smell like a shit!"

Giggling turned into doubled over laughter while my other aunt got all anxious and worried that she was chasing away her customers. She kept asking, "Should I go outside and fart?" YES!

3 Comments:

Blogger Red, White, and Poly-A said...

we think you should write a book. about your aunts and multicultrualism in the big city. but in bigger type. this gives us a headache.

as persons as persons,
the a-p collective

11:17 PM  
Blogger alleycat said...

i know. so many stories to tell. my sister has actually been working on a screenplay.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So - would it be lame to get your aunts a LAY AWAY stamp for christmas?

save that delicate little becky-hand.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home